LILAC is a retired 1933 Coast Guard cutter that once carried supplies to lighthouses and maintained buoys. Decommissioned in 1972, USCGC LILAC is America's only surviving steam-powered lighthouse tender and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is eligible to become a National Historic Landmark.
LILAC is now a museum ship owned and operated by the non-profit Lilac Preservation Project. Our goals are to preserve the ship, promote maritime education, provide a venue for history and art, and offer a community-friendly space for meetings and events.
You can help restore steam to America's waters by volunteering, making a donation, or coming by and learning more about the ship and maritime history.
LILAC is open for the 2016 season Thursdays from 4:00 to 7:00 PM Saturdays and Sundays from 2:00 to 7:00 PM Honor the mariners of 9/11 during the month of September
Watch the film Boatlift in the crew mess
Listen to audio recordings of mariners' recollections courtesy of PortSide NewYork in the officers' quarters View the mixed-media exhibit of maritime art Adam Payne: Full Steam Ahead extended through October 16, 2016