LILAC is a retired 1933 Coast Guard cutter that once carried supplies to lighthouses and maintained buoys. Decommissioned in 1972, USCGC LILAC is America's only surviving steam-powered lighthouse tender and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is eligible to become a National Historic Landmark.
LILAC is now a museum ship owned and operated by the non-profit Lilac Preservation Project. Our goals are to preserve the ship, promote maritime education, provide a venue for history and art, and be a community-friendly space for meetings and events.
You can help restore steam to America's waters by volunteering, making a donation, or coming by and learning more about the ship and maritime history.
LILAC is open for the 2016 season
Visit on Thursdays from 4:00 to 7:00 PM or Saturdays and Sundays from 2:00 to 7:00 PM
Listen to audio recordings of mariners' recollections courtesy of PortSide NewYork starting Sunday, September 4 in the officers' quarters View the mixed-media exhibit of maritime art Adam Payne: Full Steam Ahead through September 29, 2016